A great brain performance will definitely help any kind of students to achieve a high academic performance.
And to have a great brain performance, sometimes you need additional help, like brain supplements.
It’s no secret that a lot of students and college students are consuming brain supplements to improve their academic score.
In this post, you will learn the types of brain supplements that are useful for students & college students…
…and also a few of the best brain supplements for students that you can buy online.
Attention: Consult your doctor before taking any supplement.
|You want the best-selling premium brain supplement on Amazon.||You want a cheaper nootropic but also decent and recommended.||You want the best premium brain supplement on Amazon.|
Type of Supplements
1. Huperzine A
Huperzine is basically made from a plant called Chinese club moss (1). The resultant supplement is a result of a lot of laboratory manipulations.
The supplement is used for Alzheimer’s disease, cognitive activities, memory and learning enhancement and age-related memory impairment.
Also, keeps us alert throughout the day and also and protects agents that damage the nerves such as nerve gases.
This supplement works by raising acetylcholine levels, a neurotransmitter involved in learning, memory, sleep cycle regulation, and other brain functions (2).
Aricept, a popular drug to cure Alzheimer’s works the same way as this supplement does. It works as an antioxidant that protects brain cells and also oxidation from environmental toxins.
See also: Best Huperzine A Supplements
- Helps with brain’s cognitive function, keeps us alert and protects agents that damage the nerves such as nerve gas
- Natural herb made with least amount chemicals and safer than any other kind of drug available
- Protects the number, size, and function of cholinergic neurons
- Some people had problems such as vomiting, nausea, uneasiness etc
- Some consumers complained of not having any effects after taking the pill
Considered to be one of the most used natural remedies on the world. It is considered so effective that people in Europe prescribe it as a medication.
The supplement is used to increase blood circulation to the brain, balances brain chemistry, and also provides protection against any radical brain damage (3).
A lot of money is spent annually on buying the Ginko supplements because of the benefits it accrues.
Ginko has been proven successful in releasing brain’s stress and also anxiety by lowering level of stress hormone cortisol.
People who are diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and dementia, this supplement has shown some promise in improvements in those areas too (4).
Gingko Biloba is said to be the oldest plants to survive. The origin can be traced back to thousands of years.
Using ginkgo for asthma and bronchitis was described in 2600 BC (5).
Basically, this supplement increases the blood circulation to major parts of the body and helps them to function better generally.
Ginkgo seeds contain substances that might kill the bacteria and fungi that cause infections in the body. The seeds also contain a toxin that can cause side effects like seizure and loss of consciousness.
See also: Best Ginkgo Biloba Supplements
- One of the most used remedies in the world
- Balances brain chemistry and also provides protection against any radical brain damage
- Increases blood circulation to major parts of the body
- Helps to cure Alzheimer’s and dementia
- Some of the recent studies have found out that gingko does not have the kind of brain benefits it promises
This is said to be a compulsory brain supplement if you are looking for superior brain performance. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is an omega-3 essential fatty acid.
Hundreds of diseases are spread because of deficiency of Omega-3.
There are different kinds of Omega-3. But DHA is the most important amongst all (6). The cerebral cortex is that part of the brain where higher level functionary occurs.
DHA is a major source of power to the cerebral cortex. DHA also plays an important part in brain cell communication.
Some of the things that are said to be improved with supplementation of DHA are memory loss, Alzheimer’s, mood swings, dementia and even depression.
Senior citizens with high chances of Alzheimer’s and dementia can consume this to prevent it to increase or from happening.
See also: Best Fish Oil (DHA) Supplements
- Most essential supplement for superior brain performance
- Major powerhouse supplier to the cerebral cortex
- Reduces the chances of diseases such as memory loss, Alzheimer’s, mood swings, dementia and even depression
- Normal complaints of lack of effects
This supplement not only improves mental strength but also physical strength along with it. ALCAR is basically an amino acid and acts as an anti-oxidant (7).
It essentially protects the brain from any sort of radical damage. It also increases the neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine, both of which play a role in depression (8).
In fact, acetyl-l-carnitine is a fast-acting antidepressant that usually brings some relief within a week.
In a lot of people, Alzheimer’s is caused because of the brain-tangling. Acetyl-l-carnitine stabilizes tau proteins which produce the brain tangles.
This reduces the risk of Alzheimer’s in a lot of people.
There is also substantial evidence that it prevents brain damage caused due to excess alcohol intake in the body.
See also: Best Acetyl-L-Carnitine Supplements
- Acts as antioxidant that prevents brain damage
- Prevents depression by increasing levels of serotonin and norepinephrine
- Prevents brain-tangling that causes Alzheimer’s
- Prevents brain damage caused due to excess alcohol intake
- Few side effects of the supplement can be upset tummy, fish body odor or restlessness in the body
- People having low thyroid should avoid it
This supplement is based on the extracts found in vincamine, the chemical found in periwinkle. It is considered a relatively new drug that blurs the line between smart drug and brain supplement (9).
This flowering vine has been used to treat headaches, vertigo, and memory loss. Major advantages include improving memory, overcoming brain fog, enhances mental clarity and improves overall mental health.
It works by increasing blood flow to the brain by quickly entering it. It reduces brain inflammation, works against radical damages caused and also balances neurotransmitter levels in the brain.
It is a potential treatment for Alzheimer’s as it decreases brain aging and degeneration.
Vinpocetine is also used for preventing and reducing the chance of disability and death from ischemic stroke.
This is the type of stroke that occurs when a blood clot stops blood flow to the brain, causing brain cells (neurons) to die because they are not receiving oxygen.
See also: Best Vinpocetine Supplements
- Treats headaches, vertigo, and memory loss
- Major advantages include improving memory, overcoming brain fog, enhances mental clarity and improves overall mental health
- Increases blood flow to the brain and also the potential cure for Alzheimer’s
- Reduces the chances of disability from ischemic stroke
- Minor side effects might include digestive upset, insomnia, headache, dizziness, nervousness, skin rash, and flushing
- Some of the people have asked to take this off shelves as they say that it should be considered as a drug, and not supplement
Also known as the traditional ayurvedic herbal remedy. It is used as a brain tonic and for memory improvement, concentration, and learning (10).
This supplement is used since last 3000 years (11).
This works by increasing cerebral blood flow to the brain. This helps the brain get more oxygen, glucose, and nutrients to the brain.
Only some of the supplement contains adaptogenic. Adaptogenic have this ability to calm a stressed mind and also increase energy flow without acting as a stimulant.
If natural cognitive enhancing supplement your choice, then bacopa should be on the top of your mind.
See also: Best Bacopa Monnieri Supplements
- Used as a brain tonic for the overall natural wellbeing of the brain
- Improves memory improvement, concentration, and learning
- Contains adaptogenic that calms a stressed mind and increases energy level
- Some people have side effects such as dry mouth and digestive upset. This can be avoided if taken with meals
- Bacopa should not be combined with antihistamines, antidepressants, glaucoma medications, drugs taken for Alzheimer’s, or thyroid hormones
7. Alpha GPC
Synthetic form of choline. This supplement essentially comes handy for brain development, brain nourishment, healthy brain cells and also neurotransmitter formation.
It is like a fuel for brain chemical for learning and energy (12).
Alpha GPC also increases levels of the neurotransmitters dopamine, serotonin, and GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), the neurotransmitter associated with relaxation.
This supplement enhances attention span and also reduces mental declining capacity that is natural in humans.
A typical dose of alpha GPC is 300 to 600 mg.
See also: Best Alpha GPC Supplements
- It helps in brain development, brain nourishment, and also neurotransmitter formation
- It helps in relaxation and increases alertness
- Increases attention span too
- As all the supplements, bare minimum side effects include a headache, insomnia, dizziness, mental confusion, heartburn, and skin rash
- Stay away if you have an allergy from eggs or soy
This is a phospholipid naturally found in high concentrations in the brain. This is a supplement used for improving cognitive activities, enhancing memory, concentration and also learning power (13).
There are some invaders such as toxins, pathogens, and other unwanted particles that degenerate your brain capacity.
Supplement supports brain integrity and also keeps such invaders at bay.
Some of the other merits of the supplement include improving thinking skills in young people, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), depression, preventing exercise-induced stress, and improving athletic performance (14).
General dose suggested for the supplement is 100 mg taken twice a day.
See also: Best Phosphatidylserine Supplements
- Improves cognitive activity and also helps the brain perform better overall
- It improves concentration, learning power, reduces anxiety and depression, and also enhances athletic performance
- If consumed in high dosage, it might lead to digestive issues and insomnia
- The supplement is made from soy and cabbage, if you are allergic to any of those, avoid the supplement
Considered to be one of the best brain boosters available in the market, this supplement helps to build healthy brain cell membrane.
It basically acts as a power house for the brain (15). It improves brain’s plasticity (brain’s ability to change throughout life), increases blood flow to the brain and also increases brain energy by firing up mitochondria (16) (17).
Other benefits include reducing the harmful effects and inflammation that causes brain damaging and raises levels of acetylcholine and dopamine.
The lower level of Citicoline may cause disorders such as Alzheimer’s, dementia and also multiple sclerosis.
One interesting fact is that any medicine that starts with ‘anti’ is said to affect your acetylcholine level. These includes antihistamines, antidepressants, antipsychotics, antibiotics, antispasmodics, and antihypertensives.
A dose of 250mg to 1000mg taken twice a day is generally recommended in this case.
See also: Best Citicoline Supplements
- The supplement helps to build healthy brain cell membrane
- It improves brain’s plasticity (brain’s ability to change throughout life), increases blood flow to the brain and also increases brain energy by firing up mitochondria
- Reduces the harmful effects and inflammation that causes brain damaging and raises levels of acetylcholine and dopamine
- Some minor side effects like insomnia, diarrhea, high blood pressure, and nausea
The bioactive compound that is responsible for turmeric’s golden color and all the health benefits it possesses (18).
Advantages of the supplement include increasing a level of dopamine and serotonin (happiness chemical of a brain), acts as an anti-depressant, and also does the crucial work of increasing blood flow to the brain (19).
It decreases all the effects associated with OCD. Also, people consuming it regularly have shown drastic improvement in memory, mood, and energy and stress reduction.
Curcumin also accrues benefits such as anti-cancer effects. But this is independent of its anti-inflammatory effects.
This makes this supplement heavily researched supplement for cancer treatment and research.
See also: Best Curcumin Supplements
- Increases level of dopamine and serotonin (happiness chemical of a brain), acts as an anti-depressant and also does the crucial work of increasing blood flow to the brain
- Decreases all the effects associated with OCD
- Also, have anti-cancer effects
- High doses can cause nausea and diarrhea
Should I Buy These Brain Supplements? Read The Answer Below!
Honestly, if you have a good diet that consist of vegetables, meats, eggs, fish, and fruits, you don’t need any supplement.
But, yes, most students (especially college students) don’t eat healthy, let alone exercise, that’s why they’re lacking the nutrition for their brain.
Some people feel the benefits of additional brain supplements while others don’t.
It’s because different people eat different things and live different lifestyles.
If you think you’re not living a healthy lifestyle (which most college students are), an additional supplement might help.