Today, I’m going to show you the best puzzle books of all time.
If you love puzzles, riddles, or brain teasers, you will love this list.
Another reason to buy puzzle books is that doing puzzles and solving riddles may improve your brain performance.
Moreover, these books will make you want to solve more problems as you progress.
And in this post, I will provide you not only with short descriptions of the books but also what makes the books unique.
Disclosure: We earn some money from affiliate links, thank you.
|Title||Puzzle Baron’s Logic Puzzles||The Moscow Puzzles||My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles|
|Buy This If||You want one of the most popular logic puzzle books on Amazon.||You want the most popular puzzle book published in the Soviet Union.||You want one of the legendary puzzle books written by the legend himself.|
|Rating||8.8 out of 10||9.0 out of 10||8.4 out of 10|
1. 399 Games, Puzzles & Trivia Challenges Specially Designed to Keep Your Brain Young by Nancy Linde
An illustrated game book, 399 Games, Puzzles & Trivia Challenges, is specially designed to cross-train your brain cells.
It is a dynamic assortment of riddles, challenges, and brainteasers vetted by a neuroscientist, specializing in brain aging.
The concept is based on the science that proves middle-aged or older individuals who indulge in word games and brainteasers have a substantial cognitive benefit over those who do not!
The various puzzles and challenges stimulate the solver to think, push, challenge, and stretch their boundaries.
- The author developed the games to enrich six key areas of cognitive function – long-term memory, working memory, executive functioning, attention to detail, multitasking, and processing speed.
- It also characterized the puzzles from easy to difficult along with the cognitive function they boost.
- With 15 minutes of daily solving, one can improve brain’s strength, flexibility, and long-term health.
2. Brain Games #3: Lower Your Brain Age in Minutes a Day by Editors of Publications International Ltd.
If you are interested in sharpening and focusing your brain, Brain Games #3 is an ideal book for you!
The mental puzzles and exercises were all created under the guidance of a renowned neurology professor, Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg.
The outstanding belief behind this book – just like physical exercise is essential to keep your body fit, mental puzzles are essential to keep your mind fit!
The difficulty level augments as you work through the book with self-assessment quizzes helping you gauge your progress.
- It focuses on cognitive functions like analysis, attention, computation, creative thinking, logic, planning, problem-solving, spatial planning, language, and much more.
- The collection of puzzles include anagrams, crosswords, cryptograms, drawing exercises, language, logic, math, and memory puzzles, mazes, sequencing games, word searches, etc.
- The book is spiral bounded for easy handling regardless of whether you are at home or traveling.
3. Puzzle Baron’s Logic Puzzles: Hours of brain-challenging fun! by Puzzle Baron and Stephen P. Ryder
As the title suggests, Puzzle Barron’s Logic Puzzles is an ultimate ecstasy for those who relish piecing clues and facts together.
The difficult and complex brainteasers will put your mind into overdrive with hours of brain-challenging fun.
You can only solve each fiendishly tricky puzzle, with its given backstory and list of clues, using pure logic and intelligence.
After wracking your brain for solving the puzzle, you can check out your solution against the answer keys and see how logical you are!
- The book consists of 200 grid-based logic puzzles with a backstory and list of clues.
- The varieties of puzzles include acrostics, cryptograms, logic puzzles, drop quotes, Sudoku, and more.
- You can check out your stats against the average completion time, the record completion time, and the percentage of people who could finish the puzzle to excite your competitive side.
4. The Moscow Puzzles: 359 Mathematical Recreations by Boris A. Kordemsky
The Moscow Puzzles is certainly the best and the most popular puzzle book ever published in the Soviet Union.
The marvelous assortment of puzzles includes everything from simple catch riddles to the most difficult problems requiring advanced mathematics.
The math puzzles are lavishly illustrated with over 400 clear diagrams and amusing sketches to entertain the solver.
Many of the well-known math classics also take on the challenges with the fresh twists the author, Boris Kordemsky provides.
- The math based logic games include magic squares, tricky weights and measures, properties of numbers, mathematical tricks, and much more.
- Often the puzzles are presented in the form of charming contemporary Russian life and customs stories that provide non-Russian readers with valuable insights.
- The book enhances your math skills as well as critical thinking.
5. Word Freak: Heartbreak, Triumph, Genius, and Obsession in the World of Competitive Scrabble Players by Stefan Fatsis
Enjoy the underground world of colorful characters and competitiveness for which the Scrabble game is highly popular in Word Freak!
It also highlights the journey of how the Scrabble game was invented by an unemployed architect during the great depression and how beloved and successful the game is today.
Through the book, the author also chronicles his own obsession with the game and his development from a novice to expert!
The author believes that our mind celebrates the uncanny creative powers in us all.
- The book is an examination of notions of brilliance, memory, language, and competition.
- It is an engrossing look at the strange and complex realm of competitive Scrabble.
- The author colorfully portrays the eccentrics and obsessive characters that inhabit the quirky Scrabble world.
6. The Total Brain Workout: 450 Puzzles to Sharpen Your Mind, Improve Your Memory & Keep Your Brain Fit by Marcel Danesi
The Total Brain Workout shows us that how different parts of our brain control different functions, and how with exercise we can make each part stronger!
The 450 challenging puzzles stimulate specific areas of the brain and thus help you exercise your brain in a methodical manner.
Each set of puzzles ranges from easy to difficult level along with the information on the part of the brain targeted and the function it controls.
You can also customize your workout patterns to target the specific abilities of the brain you want to enhance.
- The book consists of 450 fun, perplexing, and absorbing puzzles created to target specific core areas of the brain.
- One can enhance brain abilities such as language, logic, memory, reasoning, and visual perception.
- Each chapter kick starts with a brief summary of a certain function followed by five puzzle sections organized in order of difficulty.
7. Challenging Logic Puzzles by Barry R. Clarke
If you have the brainpower to tackle tough logic puzzles, Challenging Logic Puzzles will be your true companion!
It is an extraordinary collection of stimulating challenges such as Mix-and-Match puzzles and logic-based Find-the-Liar type games.
With different forms of illustrations such as tables, items, and word-plays, the author designed each puzzle to stretch your mind to the maximum.
The level of difficulty increases as you move ahead through the book, concluding with a series so diabolical, even the most experts get muddled!
- The thought-provoking logic puzzles are every puzzler’s delight.
- The book spurs critical thinking abilities which are a must in this day and age.
- Solutions and explanations of every puzzle along with how the answers are determined are included to build your puzzle-solving skills.
8. My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles by Martin Gardner
My Best Mathematical and Logic Puzzles challenge an enthusiast’s solving skills and rattle their egos with stimulating mind-benders!
It consists of a rich selection of 70 best brainteasers like the returning explorer, the mutilated chessboard, touching cigarettes, and more.
The classic unfamiliar varieties of puzzles and short math problems boost an individual’s math muscle!
The simple puzzles require just moments of reflection whereas the tougher ones go quite beyond the best of the cognitive powers.
- The book consists of 70 of the greatest brain teasers set to excite your brain powers.
- The solutions to each problem are illustrated in the best possible way with an explanation.
- The puzzles enhance your mathematical and logic-based skills to the fullest.
9. Of Course!: The Greatest Collection of Riddles & Brain Teasers For Expanding Your Mind by Zack Guido
If you love riddles, brain teasers, problem-solving, creativity, and thinking out of the box, Of Course! is perfect for you.
The collection consists of encouraging riddles, puzzles, and brain teasers set to challenge your cognitive abilities.
The “that’s it” moment, the “of course” moment and the “clarity” moment when you figure out the solution, is a great exercise for your mind to keep you mentally sharp.
Fun and exciting, the book encompasses easy to hard puzzles that will be a challenge for even the sharpest of the mind!
- The book consists of discrete reasoning riddles, mathematical puzzles, practical and logic based questions, and problem-solving games.
- The brainteasers will challenge the way you think, introduce you to new ways to look at problems, and expand your mind.
- The puzzles have definite and satisfying solutions to make you understand better and blow your mind.
10. The Big Book of Brain Games: 1,000 PlayThinks of Art, Mathematics & Science by Ivan Moscovich
The Big Book of Brain Games is a wide-ranging, visually appealing, entertaining, and gigantic collection of brainteasers!
The jam-packed pages and a full-color illustration for 1,000 challenges, puzzles, riddles, and illusions make you smarter.
The assortment of challenges includes mental games, visual challenges, logic posers, riddles, and illusions.
Furthermore, the mind-boggling puzzles will make you feel smart, intuitive, curious, and successful right away.
- The book consists of twelve categories – geometry, patterns, numbers, logic, probability, perception, etc.
- Each game, at its start, is ranked on a difficulty scale of 1 to 10.
- The solutions to all the puzzles are provided to enhance your understanding and problem-solving skills.
11. A Book of Surrealist Games by Alastair Brotchie and Mel Gooding
A Book of Surrealist Games is a delightful collection that allows everyone to enjoy the firsthand provocative methods used by artists and poets.
The remarkable book is packed with word and image games that surrealists developed to create their written and graphical art.
Also, it is an illustrated compilation of ways to be inventive, humorous, or absurd.
This extraordinary volume is a treasure trove of the artistic and socio-linguistic conundrums which the surrealists cultivated.
- The book is an outstanding collection of word games, visual tricks, and intellectual assaults on the conventional.
- It is a wonderful book for spurring an individual’s imagination.
- The games are interesting along with enough historical content to be educationally relevant.
12. Optical Illusions: The Science of Visual Perception by Al Seckel
The intriguing Optical Illusions consists of 275 optical illusions that appear to change before your eyes.
The author, Al Seckel, carefully assembled both well-known and lesser-known effective illusions to blow your mind.
Every type of optical illusion comes with a note about the science of visual perception and the working about it.
In addition, the comprehensive collection of graphic patterns is mind-bending, eye-opening, and highly entertaining.
- The stunning images with notes about the science of visual perception is all about how our eyes can truly deceive us.
- The images and shapes include figure illusions that switch from one shape to another and then back, ambiguous figures, impossible objects, stereo illusions, and much more.
- The illusions rendered in photography, artwork, and computer imaging, both befuddle and amaze you.
13. What Is the Name of This Book?: The Riddle of Dracula and Other Logical Puzzles by Raymond M. Smullyan
What Is the Name of This Book is the most profound, original, and humorous collection of recreational logic and math problems!
The value of the book is its resourceful puzzles along with instructions full of amusement and vigorous exercise.
Moreover, the puzzles and their solutions delve into the deepest paradoxes of logic and set theory.
The author, Raymond M. Smullyan, a celebrated mathematician, logician, and magician has kept the book suitable and entertaining for kids as well as adults too.
- It is a collection of 200 mind-bending logic puzzles, riddles, and diversions.
- It excites you to challenge your powers of logical reasoning and common sense.
- Detailed solutions, to make you understand better, follow each puzzle.
14. Codes, Ciphers and Secret Writing by Martin Gardner
With Codes, Ciphers and Secret Writing explore the famous codes that changed the fate of national and political leaders.
Learn to use the most important methods and codes of secret communication and enjoy hours of experimenting and cryptography.
The author, Martin Gardner, explains how to break complicated ciphers and codes worked with triangles, grids, squares, and charts.
As a result, young cipher fans and puzzlists of all ages will find continuing moments of intrigue and challenge in this fascinating and inspiring book.
- Learn codes that are keyed to typewriters, telephone dials, playing cards, knots, and swizzle sticks.
- You can also experiment with invisible writing and explore the possibilities of sending messages through outer space to unknown worlds.
- Discover bizarre methods of message sending like the Dot Code, Knot Code, Swizzle Code, and more.
15. Entertaining Mathematical Puzzles by Martin Gardner
Indulge in intriguing and fun-filled hours of playing with mathematical riddles with Entertaining Mathematical Puzzles.
Written in a light and witty style, it is an amalgamation of old and modern riddles to excite the reader’s math knowledge.
The engaging collection requires only an elementary knowledge of math subject and a will to resist looking for answers before trying to solve the puzzles!
As a result, it stimulates a reader’s ability to think logically and towards surprising off-beat angles.
- The various mathematical topics include money, speed, plane and solid geometry, probability, tricky puzzles, topology, and more.
- Simple and clear comments at the beginning of each section explain the nature of the math needed to solve the puzzles.
- A fully described solution set follows each problem.
16. Perplexing Puzzles and Tantalizing Teasers by Martin Gardner
Perplexing Puzzles and Tantalizing Teasers is a bonanza of stimulating brainteasers ideal for strengthening young mental muscles!
The collection combines two books in one, providing a double serving of fun puzzles in one convenient volume.
It’s an entertaining way of stretching the minds and trying to find a solution to the problems.
Therefore, the curious and the comic collection is a perfect companion for long trips or free time.
- The book comprises of a collection of 93 classic and pleasurable puzzles.
- The variety of puzzles include ridiculous riddles, tantalizing teasers, intricate mazes, deceptive illusions, tricky questions, and unusual word and picture puzzles.
- It is a richly illustrated book full of diagrams and hilarious drawings by Laszlo Kubinyi.
17. The Ultimate Chess Puzzle Book by John Emms
The Ultimate Chess Puzzle Book tests just about every facet of your tactical skills with a wealth of puzzle positions!
The puzzles have been selected by analyzing new and old games in search of original puzzle positions.
Also, the puzzles come with hints to assist you in times of getting stuck at a particular challenge.
Easy to understand, the chess challenges are great for people who want to improve their chess skills.
- There are in all 1001 mind-bending puzzles to stimulate your thinking capacities.
- The book begins with 100 relatively easy positions suitable for novices and ends with 100 extremely difficult puzzles challenging for even top-class players.
- The author has made effort to ensure that there are no unmentioned alternative solutions to any problem.
18. Will Shortz Presents The Monster Book of KenKen: 300 Easy to Hard Logic Puzzles That Make You Smarter by Tetsuya Miyamoto and LLC KenKen Puzzle
The Monster Book of KenKen is all about Sudoku, one of the life’s simplest pleasures!
It is edited by the legendary New York Times crossword editor and “America’s puzzle master” Will Shortz.
Furthermore, the collection consists of addictive Sudokus that will definitely make you forget crosswords!
The puzzles use all the four mathematical operations to master the solution.
- The book consists of 300 easy-to-difficult Sudoku.
- There are 3×3 to 9×9 size puzzles with big grids and a lot of space for easy solving.
- “How to Solve” instructions and an introduction by puzzle master Will Shortz will guide you to start solving the addictive Sudokus.
19. Aha! Insight by Martin Gardner
Aha! Insight challenges the reader’s reasoning power and intuition while encouraging the development of “Aha! Reactions”.
The puzzles and challenges are very interesting and relevant to algorithmic design.
The questions range from easy to tough with detailed solutions after every question.
Also, each problem is introduced in a comic format with funny characters to keep the reader entertained.
- The book consists of sections like geometry, logic, problem-solving, Chinese remainder theorem, Euclid’s algorithm, etc.
- The funny stick figures and drawings illustrate each puzzle and make it fun and exciting.
- It is a classic puzzle book great for mathematics and programming.
20. The Colossal Book of Short Puzzles and Problems by Martin Gardner
The Colossal Book of Short Puzzles and Problems is full of challenges selected for their illuminating and bewildering solutions.
The volume consists of nine new mathematical gems that the author has been gathering for the last decade.
The various problems and challenges differ in form and content to provide some mental exercise to your brain.
Furthermore, there is a humor along with a hidden beauty in each of the problem in the collection.
- Some of the delightful mental challenges are quite easy whereas some will completely quiz your brain to the fullest.
- The various sections of problems include chess puzzles, physical puzzles, word puzzles, etc.
- The book is full of highly educational, efficient, and entertaining content to keep the reader amazed throughout.
So, Which Book Should I Buy?
If you want an easy answer, just pick one from the Quick Recommendation list.
However, the best way to determine which book is best for you is to read the full description of the books on their Amazon pages.
Finally, don’t forget to leave a comment below if you have anything to say.